Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Snack Anyone?



I'm not sure about you but I LOVE to snack. I could do it all day long! I am also trying to be conscious of what I am putting in my body and am always looking for healthier options. Recently I discovered how freakin easy it is to make pita chips which are healthier than store bought chips but equally as delicious! 

They are also pretty inexpensive to purchase. I can get a package of 5 or 6 which makes between 80 to 96 chips for $1.78 at my local grocery store.
 
Here is what you'll need:

A large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If you don't have any parchment paper I'm sure they'll bake ok without it but try to invest in some, it is worth. It's used in a lot of baking/roasting recipes, and helps with easy cleanup.

 2-3 Pita Pockets, preferably ones with whole grain. Usually I just bake a whole package, or two. They are a great chip to have on hand when you are on the go, are too busy to make a batch every time you're in the mood.


1-2 tablespoons of olive oil for brushing chips- I bake a whole package at a time and I haven't needed more than 2 tablespoons.

A pastry brush- I found mine at the dollar store and I love it! Most definitely worth the purchase.

Seasoning of choice- I do a mix of garlic powder, paprika, and salt; about 2-3 dashes of each for every 2-3 pitas you are baking.

And a knife to cut your pitas in to chip size bits.


Okay now that you have gathered your supplies preheat your oven  to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. While your oven heats up cut your pitas.

Start with two cuts lengthwise

Then break the pita sides apart using the knife to avoid tears, and tears...


 Gently pull the pits sides apart, and stack them. Make one final cut through the center
 
Lay them on your cookie sheet so that they don't overlap. The pita chips will crisp up better this way.
 
Now pour that 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil into a small bowl or cup. Brush each pita lightly with the oil. I add the seasoning to the oil but you can always sprinkle it on top after.
 
Alright pop these bad boys in the oven for about 10 minutes. My oven takes 12 minutes so check on them. The chip should be mostly crisp about 80-90%. They crisp up more when you take them out of the oven. I put mine in an air tight plastic container to stay fresh.
 
They are great on their own but here's a healthy dip recipe to try them with:
 
Perfect Avocado Dip

 
 2 chopped avocados
1 garlic clove minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
   1 cup Greek yogurt
  2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
  1 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or any vinegar)
   ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
I put a table spoon of fresh salsa and a whole chopped jalapeño in it too cause I love spicy :) but those are totally optional!
 
Throw it all in a blender or food processor until mostly smooth. Or you can mash it all together with a fork if you want it chunkier.
 
 
Live Long and Prosper my fellow bloggers,
 
-LifeIrie









No comments:

Post a Comment