Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Easy Green Smoothie


A green smoothie is an easy way to sneak nutrients in your day when you don't have time for much else. Below is a green smoothie formula that I have come up with after some experimentation. It allows for a lot of options depending on what's in my house and what I'm in the mood for. 


The Liquid in the smoothie is just to help blend all the good stuff together so you really don't need a lot. Start with a small amount (4oz) and add more if your blender starts acting crazy, lol. I use coconut water or almond milk or plain water when I'm broke! When I'm EXTRA tired I use some Redbull, not the healthiest choice but sometimes a girl needs a pick-me-up!
My Smoothie Tip: Liquid is like foreplay for the best smoothie experience ;) Put it in first before you add the other ingredients.

To make a smoothie creamy it's good to add a creamy ingredient. bananas are probably the most popular choice but you can use an avocado too! Drop in half an avocado instead of a banana. Don't be a scaredy-cat, it's good and adds even more green ;)

Mango and pineapple are my go to fruit because I love a tangy smoothie but most any fruit is delicious. Just remember if you add it fresh and  put a little ice in there to keep the texture from being watery. 

When it comes to adding the greens, spinach is my fave choice. It doesn't mess with the flavor or texture of the smoothie. I have pretty big hands so I opt for 2 handfuls (it ends up being about 1 1/2 cups).  As for the add-ins I like to switch  it up daily. Variety is the spice of life right??? but I LOVE chia seeds and a squeeze of some lemon juice.

It took me a few tries to get my green smoothie just the way I like it so I suggest extensive green smoothie experimentation!!
 
 

Live Long and Prosper,

-LifeIrie








photo texture credit: {AndreaRenee} / Foter / CC BY

No comments:

Post a Comment